Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!

Puerto Rico does in fact celebrate Thankgsiving ("Día de Acción de Gracias"). This is usually done with family gatherings and making turkey and the whole nine yards but.... with a twist. You'll find the bird seasoned with adobo or stuffed with cassava or plantains and meat. In spanish, it's called pavo relleno de yuca y carne. I've never tried it before but it sounds good to me. I usually make my turkey with cornbread stuffing or with regular white bread. Shopping for pumpkin puree was quite a challenge this year though. I couldn't find it anywhere and was about to give up until I went to Walgreens. Yeah, can you believe it? Of all places, Walgreens was where I found a can of Libby's pumpkin puree! As pathethic as this may sound, it really made my day!

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday for many reasons. In general, I think we don't say "thank you" enough to those who make our lives possible and wonderful. I've been guilty for taking many things and people for granted in my life. However, as I've gotten older, I think I've gotten better at recognizing this fact and appreciating all the little things in life. I've been very fortunate to have the most wonderful circle of family and friends and I am truly grateful for their love and support. They're also the ones who keep me sane and grounded!

(Graphic obtained from www.tarjetas.com)

No comments: