Saturday, November 8, 2008

Counting Down Bush's Last Days

Like many others, I am extremely happy and exhilirated with the election of Obama. Listening to his victory speech, and seeing the electrifying crowd in Times Square, made me miss living in New York just a tiny bit. I wish I could have joined the euphoric celebration! Naturally, everyone is emphasizing how Obama will become the first black U.S president. We are indeed living in exciting times, this is history in the making. However, I think people should get over the fact that he's black and focus on the facts and issues. The country faces a very difficult and grim economic and geopolitical situation. Increasing unemployment, slumping housing prices, the situation in Iraq and the political tension with Russia, just to name a few. Obama has inherited quite a headache but I think the country chose the better candidate. In the meantime, I just can't wait until the Bush presidency is over.

Here in the Island of Enchantment, Luis Fortuño of the Partido Nuevo Progresista (PNP), which is the blue party, will become the next Governor. Historically, there's an opposing trend between the U.S and Puerto Rico. Whenever there's a Democrat in the White House, there's a PNP Governor in La Fortaleza. The PNP favors statehood, while the Partido Popular Democratico (PPD) favors the status quo. One of the things I dislike about living here is how the local news seems to ignore the outside world. For example, the day after the elections, El Nuevo Día, the most widely-read local newspaper, had a tiny photo of Obama while the image of Luis Fortuño dominated the front page. Thank goodness for the Internet and cable tv, my gateway to the outside world!

(Image obtained from http://www.bushlastday.com/ and www.endi.com)

No comments: