Saturday, November 7, 2009

Salsa in Puerto Rico

Last week, I went salsa dancing with some friends and great times were had. I'm not the best salsa dancer but after some alcoholic beverages, it certainly helped me ease into it. Earlier this year, I took a salsa class with a friend and what I learned slowly came back to me. Unfortunately, like a friend of mine was lamenting, salsa is no longer very popular on the island. Nowadays, most clubs play reggaetón music, which I'm not a fan of. Unfortunately, I've only come across a few places in which you can dance to salsa, like The Marriot Courtyard Hotel in Isla Verde (on Saturday nights), Punto Fijo (in the basement of El Centro de Bellas Artes in Santurce) and Nuyorican Cafe (in Old San Juan).

One of the things I enjoy about salsa is the music. Of the places I mentioned above, Nuyorican Cafe had the best band playing. If you've never tried dancing to salsa, do give it a try. It's a lot of fun and it can be a great way to get some exercise! Believe me, after a while, you'll start sweating. Every summer, Puerto Rico plays host to the International Salsa Congress. For more information on salsa-related event, someone recommended me Salsa Crazy as a resource. I never thought salsa was such a huge international phenomenon until I recently danced with a Danish gentleman. To my surprise, he learned how to dance salsa in Denmark!

No comments: