Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Christmas in Miami


It has been quite a long time since my family and I went on a vacation together. So, I found our recent trip to Miami to be really special. We've all been there before, but I find it especially memorable this time. Perhaps, it's because we rarely made any family trips together when I was young. It's the holiday season, and with the year coming to an end, I can't help but reflect. I have so many things to be grateful for, and I feel blessed to be able to spend the holidays with my family.

When we arrived in Miami, the airport was filled with travelers. Although it was a bit chaotic, I loved the energy. I can sense the anxiousness of people rushing to be with their loved ones. Perhaps, that's what I love most about the holidays. It usually gives us a chance to reconnect with our family and friends. We did just that during our trip to Miami, and we also managed to leave work behind us! I also rediscovered how interesting Miami really is. Although I was in the mainland U.S, I felt as though I was in Latin America. Literally everyone speaks Spanish. Of course, this is nothing new. However, this time, I felt a lot more confident speaking to people in Spanish. I also enjoyed listening to all the different accents as well. We were always trying to figure out where people were from.

I do like accents, and I also like to eat different types of cuisines. One of the things I was eagerly waiting to purchase was a batida de mamey (mamey is a Cuban fruit, a bit like passion fruit and batida simply means "shake"). We also had dim sum, a Chinese cuisine which we seldom get to have in Puerto Rico. While in Miami, we walked around the trendy South Beach (excuse me, "SoBe"), and the beautiful Coral Gables and Coconut Grove. When I saw the flamingo and wreath, I knew I was in Florida and I just couldn't help but laugh. We had a great Christmas, and I hope you did as well.

No comments: