Thursday, April 9, 2009

There's No Place Like Home

One of the things which I do not miss about New York is the weather. Yesterday, when we were running one of my favorite routes (over the Manhattan and Brooklyn Bridges), I looked up and thought my eyes were playing tricks on me. I thought I saw snow, and it was indeed snow! Now, of course, seeing flurries in the Big Apple in April is really no surprise. However, I've forgotten how unpredictable the weather can be. In Puerto Rico, the weather is as steady as it comes. I never even bother checking the weather unless it's hurricane season.

Although I love the weather in Puerto Rico, and I no longer desire the big city life, I will always consider New York City to be my home. I was born in Puerto Rico to Chinese parents but was raised in New York by a very traditional grandmother. Growing up, I made frequent trips back to the island to visit my parents and brother. I'd compare myself to an onion sometimes. There are many different layers of me. My parents themselves grew up in Cuba. Needless to say, I come from a mixture of different cultures. For this reason, New York is really the place where I feel most comfortable. This is where you can be your own person, and it's also where you won't feel like an outsider. After all, the city itself is comprised of people from all over the world. There's truly no place like home.

No comments: