Thursday, December 11, 2008

Greetings from Rotterdam!

At this moment, I am actually not observing from the Island of Enchantment. Instead, for the next few weeks, I will be thousands of miles away from the sunny and warm Caribbean. I am in Rotterdam, the Netherlands! To say the very least, I do miss the warm weather. After living in Puerto Rico for over two years, I am just not used to the cold anymore. When the weather dips down to the high 70'sF, most Boricuas consider it to be cold and put on a jacket. Yeah, unbelievable, right?

As much as I love Puerto Rico's warm climate, I am enjoying the change of scenery. Rotterdam is the second largest city in the Netherlands. I have been here before on several occassions, and I've written about this country before and will continue to do so during my stay here. Traveling has always given me interesting experiences, which I love to share as long as it helps others. Besides, the Dutch culture is different and it makes for some interesting comparisons. This is especially true as compared with life in Puerto Rico.

One of the starkest contrasts between the Netherlands and Puerto Rico, for example, is the timeliness and efficiency of public transportation. Well, let me back up just a bit, the Dutch have one of the best public transportation systems in the world. Perhaps it's not fair for me to compare between the one here and the nonexistent one in Puerto Rico. Generally speaking, the Dutch tend to be very punctual, although probably less so than the Germans. On the other hand, punctuality is something entirely foreign to most Puerto Ricans.

No comments: