Friday, December 5, 2008

A Difficult Holiday Season

Every time I watch the news, I hear about a massive round of layoffs and the Dow plummeting yet again. Thousands of people have lost their jobs, or are on the verge of losing them, and seeing their 401k account practically get wiped out. Christmas and New Years is right around the corner and I can only imagine how difficult this holiday season will be for many families. Here in Puerto Rico, I've begun to see an increasing number of homeless people. Crime is also on the rise. For those of you who have never visited the island, you probably never thought of Puerto Rico as an island besotted with a large number of social ills. Think again.

Over 40% of the population of Puerto Rico lives in poverty. In addition, the public education system is crumbling. Domestic violence is also a very serious problem here. The news is grim but yet I try my best to keep a positive mentality. I would be living in a fantasy world if I didn't acknowledge and pay attention to what is happening around me though. Lately, I've been questioning myself about why this world is the way it is. Hope is what drives us forward as human beings and I sure do hope things will be better in 2009.

No comments: