Thursday, May 8, 2008

The Joy of Running

Last year, I was fortunate enough to participate in my first ever 10K running event. I found the experience to be absolutely exhilirating. The energy of the crowd, and the hundreds of runners, just keeps you going. It truly is mind over matter. I vowed to do it again. Unfortunately, I was in New York on the day of the run this year and wasn't able to participate. So, I've been searching for another opportunity and found one! This time, it'll be actually in Germany, a country that I'll be visiting for the very first time. Perfect!

I have a passion for running, as well as traveling. So, why not combine the two? I actually came across this event while doing a random Google search. It also just so happened that I had plans to travel to Europe. This 10K run is taking place in Essen, Germany. I am really looking forward to it! My only regret is that I won't be able to do the half-marathon. By the time I found out about it, it was too late to train for it. In all honesty, I don't have time to train for it either.

For the past few weeks, in order to prepare for the 10K, I've been running more and it feels great. The reason why I enjoy this sport so much is because it keeps me sane. Running has helped me both in good times and bad. When I lived in New York, I would run across the Manhattan and Brooklyn Bridges almost every morning. It was fantastic. There are certain runs that will forever be etched in my memory. I once ran in the midst of a snowstorm, rainstorm, as well as a subway strike, where there were hundreds of pedestrians walking across the bridges. They were all very interesting experiences indeed, and I look forward to many more to come.

No comments: