Monday, December 3, 2007

Puerto Rico's Treasures



One of the best things about living in the caribbean is the weather. I am absolutely loving the island breeze and sunshine! For someone who likes being outdoors, Puerto Rico is definitely a great place to be. I also love the fact that I can keep my wardrobe nice and simple, just t-shirts, tank-tops and jeans. I know, I know, I just enjoy rubbing it in. So, I'll just stop right here....

Last week, we had a group of visitors from New York and I had the pleasure of showing them around the island. The photos above were taken from some of the highlights of my tour. Naturally, we did see quite a few palm trees. We also went to see the caves at Rio de Camuy, which is quite a popular spot for tourists. My most memorable experience was having coconut ice cream at Ponce's King's Cream. I've been there on numerous occasions and their homemade ice cream just seems to get better every time. Another highlight was the tour of the Bacardi distillery, because they provide you with free drinks! Try the coconut rum with orange juice. I promise you won't be disappointed.

Last but not least, Old San Juan is a "must-see" on every visitor's list. Its narrow, cobble-stone streets are a delight to navigate, as are the colorful buildings and architecture. It is the most ancient part of San Juan, and the influence of the Spaniards is quite obvious. However, it is now overwhelmingly dominated by American commercial interests, such as Starbucks and (sadly) Payless Shoe Source. Nevertheless, Old San Juan still maintains a lot of charm. The old Spanish fort, El Morro, is also located there. It is not only a national landmark, but it also holds a very special place in my heart.

No comments: