Thursday, August 20, 2009

Visit to Perú

Just came back from a 10-day trip to Perú , a fascinating country which I would like to go back to one day. I enjoyed the culture, history, diversity, and last but not least... the food! Our journey started out quite difficult, since we had to get up before the crack of dawn to either catch a plane or bus, but it was well worth it. Machu Picchu was absolutely amazing, it's just a magical and beautiful place. Words can't fully describe it.

Lake Titicaca was also an incredibly special highlight of our trip. We visited the islands of Uros and Taquile. Personally, I found the latter to be the nicer of the two, because it was less touristic. However, it was really interesting to see Uros, since it was my first time on a floating island! The islands are inhabited by indigenous people, some of whom speak Quechua or Aymara. While visiting Cusco and Puno, I experienced a bit of trouble with the elevation. Luckily, I did bring some Tylenol with me, which helped me get rid of my headache.

During the last leg of our trip, we visited Arequipa, which is the second largest city in Peru. The city has a beautiful palm tree-lined plaza. We visited several beautiful churches, museums, as well as the famous Santa Catalina Monastery, which I highly recommend. The last day of our journey was spent in Lima, where we ate lots of ceviche and seafood. We also had a delicious dessert called suspiro de Limeña. Besides its exquisite cuisine, the main reason why I find Perú so fascinating is because it's a country with many different faces, and stark contrasts.

No comments: