Saturday, June 27, 2009

Farewell, Michael

"Michael Jackson se ha muerto esta tarde en un hospital en Los Angeles," (translation: Michael Jackson died this afternoon at a hospital in Los Angeles) was the first thing I heard as I turned on the radio late Thursday afternoon, while leaving work. I was shocked, it was something which took me by complete surprise, especially since Farrah Fawcett had died on the same day. It was one of those moments where you'll always remember where you were when you first heard the news. Although I'm not the biggest Michael Jackson fan, I truly admire his talent. Despite all the controversies he was involved in, he was and always will be an icon.

Sadly, Michael never made it to the island for a performance but he sure has plenty of fans here. People have been talking about his passing, some radio stations dedicated the entire evening to his career and he has also been the main subject (as in most parts of the world) of the news media. Right now, I'm listening to some of his most famous hits, from "Billy Jean" to "Don't Stop 'till You Get Enough," and I've sure got a long list of songs to go through. There surely is no other Michael Jackson in this world.

(Image obtained from www.endi.com, front cover from 6/26/09)

No comments: