Sunday, January 25, 2009

Festival de La Calle San Sebastián

Every third week of January, Viejo San Juan ("Old San Juan") hosts La Festival de La Calle San Sebastián (San Sebastian Festival) for 4 days, from Thursday through Sunday. This is a festival held in honor of its patron saint, Sebastián, and starts at the street of its namesake. The festival attracts thousands of people every year. There are many cultural events and festivities organized for people to enjoy and participate. For me, someone who doesn't drink and avoids large crowds, going to the festival has never been something of particular interest. However, after my first "San Se" experience last Sunday, I stand corrected. The festival was a lot of fun and I had a wonderful time.

We saw the desfile de cabezudos (literally the parade of heads) on calle San Sebastian (San Sebastian Street), which was filled with music, people dancing and kiosks selling food. It was crowded but far from being unbearable. We went during the day, as I was told that drunken people dominate the streets at night. The courtyards of el Museo de Las Américas and el Museo de Arte y Historia San Juan were converted into large flea markets, filled with kiosks selling local crafts and artwork. We had never seen so many local artisans out in full force. It was absolutely fantastic!

4 comments:

Joe and Melissa Mott said...

Ok so I will start with the questions, and they will probably continue for the next few months as we transition. We are going to be in San Juan, is Isla Verde the best place to live in terms of safety, restaurants, stuff to do? We have looked at a few things also in the Ciudad Viejo. I am working on my spanish again, but most of it transformed into Portuguese this year, so even though I am trying it still comes out with a funny accent. Thanks again, Melissa

adriana said...

Hi Melissa,

Isla Verde is extremely touristy. It is also filled with fast food joints. Old San Juan is nice. However, parking can be quite a hassle. In the San Juan metro area, I would recommend Hato Rey (University Gardens and Baldrich), Condado/Ocean Park area, and Guaynabo.

Joe and Melissa Mott said...

We have looked at a few places in Condado. Are their places to get out and walk? I myself haven't been yet. We normal just walk around an area before picking an apartment. I'm really just trying to narrow it down so we can make progress when I am able to come down
Thanks,
Melissa

adriana said...

Hi Melissa,

Sure, there are places in Condado where you can walk. Ashford and McCleary Avenues, for example, are quite popular for people to walk or jog. There's always the beach too, of course.