Friday, July 25, 2008

Who Has the World's Most Public Holidays?

Today was yet another day of celebration here in the Island of Enchantment, it is Constitution Day. During the month of July, Puerto Rico observes four public holidays! I tried looking up to see which country in the world has the most public holidays, but I couldn't quite find a definite answer. Nevertheless, I would not be surprised if Puerto Rico makes it to the top 3. After all, Mother and Father's Day are considered to be public holidays. Obviously, this doesn't necessarily everyone mean has a day off. However, I would say those who work for the local government have it quite sweet. They have a total of 21 days off for the entire 2008 calendar year. Incredible, isn't it? Meanwhile, Federal employees have a total of 10 days. When I worked in New York, in the private sector, my employer gave us six days.

I don't mean to complain, but it certainly is interesting to compare and contrast. Unsurprisingly, the U.S is the most productive country in the world. Americans work long hours and days. Puerto Ricans have a completely different mentality. Generally speaking, Puerto Ricans have a much better sense of work/life balance. I'm adjusting to the cultural differences. However, I still find it hard to believe how everything is closed on Mother and Father's Day, except for businesses located in tourist areas. I suppose this means I must get my shopping done in advance.

(Photo Credit: Carlos Giusti/Primera Hora)

No comments: